Jockey David Flores was released from Arcadia Methodist Hospital early Sunday morning, a day after suffering a dislocated elbow, ligament damage, and facial abrasions in a three-horse spill in Santa Anita's eighth race.
Saturday's 80th running of the $100,000-added Derby Trial (gr. III) at Churchill Downs is expected to attract a field of eight to 10 3-year-olds and the race could feature a colt that is considered a major contender for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
This time of year, allowance races often hold more intrigue than stakes, as you never know if some new exciting star is going to emerge. On Friday, a 1 1/16-mile allowance race at Santa Anita will feature three potential Kentucky Derby (gr. I) hopefuls –- Dwango, Spellbinder, and Bornwithit.
Eclipse Award-winning trainer Bob Baffert, who has tightened the girth on four winners of the classics since his first starter in 1996, has nominated 20 sophomores for this year's renewal of the Triple Crown.
This is the sixth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. When the major stables ship south for the winter to embark on the Derby trail, they're going to find some strong resistence from the local forces.
This is the fourth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. Although we're nearing December, Bob Baffert still has no idea what kind of hand he's been dealt. In fact, he has already drawn a new card from the deck.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile