Borgia, a globetrotting German-bred champion filly who specialized in long distance racing, died March 29. The daughter of Acatenango out of the Tarim mare Britannia was 18.
Germany's outstanding sire Acatenango, a three-time German Horse of the Year, died April 2 at the age of 23 after an accident in his paddock.
Acatenango, a two-time German Horse of the Year and sire of such accomplished international runners as Lando and Borgia, has been pensioned from stud duty at Gestut Fahrhof.
Boreal rallied to the lead with a quarter-mile to run and held on for a 1 1/2-length win in Sunday's BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg. Borgia, Boreal's half-sister, won the German Derby in 1997.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection