Borgia, a globetrotting German-bred champion filly who specialized in long distance racing, died March 29. The daughter of Acatenango out of the Tarim mare Britannia was 18.
Germany's outstanding sire Acatenango, a three-time German Horse of the Year, died April 2 at the age of 23 after an accident in his paddock.
Acatenango, a two-time German Horse of the Year and sire of such accomplished international runners as Lando and Borgia, has been pensioned from stud duty at Gestut Fahrhof.
Boreal rallied to the lead with a quarter-mile to run and held on for a 1 1/2-length win in Sunday's BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg. Borgia, Boreal's half-sister, won the German Derby in 1997.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby