Borgia, a globetrotting German-bred champion filly who specialized in long distance racing, died March 29. The daughter of Acatenango out of the Tarim mare Britannia was 18.
Germany's outstanding sire Acatenango, a three-time German Horse of the Year, died April 2 at the age of 23 after an accident in his paddock.
Acatenango, a two-time German Horse of the Year and sire of such accomplished international runners as Lando and Borgia, has been pensioned from stud duty at Gestut Fahrhof.
Boreal rallied to the lead with a quarter-mile to run and held on for a 1 1/2-length win in Sunday's BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg. Borgia, Boreal's half-sister, won the German Derby in 1997.
Most Popular Stories
- Spendthrift Gets Breeding Rights to Palace
- Stellar Wind Fresh for Distaff
- Papa John's Pizza to Support Aftercare
- Lovely Maria Out Rest of Year
- Innovation in Racing Not Without Obstacles
- Bergstein Award Presentations Set for Nov. 12
- Woodford Stakes Grade Reinstated
- Slideshow: Progeny of Empire Maker
- Gulfstream Numbers Increase Substantially
- Compromise Sought on KY Downs Dates Request