Borgia, a globetrotting German-bred champion filly who specialized in long distance racing, died March 29. The daughter of Acatenango out of the Tarim mare Britannia was 18.
Germany's outstanding sire Acatenango, a three-time German Horse of the Year, died April 2 at the age of 23 after an accident in his paddock.
Acatenango, a two-time German Horse of the Year and sire of such accomplished international runners as Lando and Borgia, has been pensioned from stud duty at Gestut Fahrhof.
Boreal rallied to the lead with a quarter-mile to run and held on for a 1 1/2-length win in Sunday's BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg. Borgia, Boreal's half-sister, won the German Derby in 1997.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial