Borgia, a globetrotting German-bred champion filly who specialized in long distance racing, died March 29. The daughter of Acatenango out of the Tarim mare Britannia was 18.
Germany's outstanding sire Acatenango, a three-time German Horse of the Year, died April 2 at the age of 23 after an accident in his paddock.
Acatenango, a two-time German Horse of the Year and sire of such accomplished international runners as Lando and Borgia, has been pensioned from stud duty at Gestut Fahrhof.
Boreal rallied to the lead with a quarter-mile to run and held on for a 1 1/2-length win in Sunday's BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg. Borgia, Boreal's half-sister, won the German Derby in 1997.
Most Popular Stories
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move