Borgia, a globetrotting German-bred champion filly who specialized in long distance racing, died March 29. The daughter of Acatenango out of the Tarim mare Britannia was 18.
Germany's outstanding sire Acatenango, a three-time German Horse of the Year, died April 2 at the age of 23 after an accident in his paddock.
Acatenango, a two-time German Horse of the Year and sire of such accomplished international runners as Lando and Borgia, has been pensioned from stud duty at Gestut Fahrhof.
Boreal rallied to the lead with a quarter-mile to run and held on for a 1 1/2-length win in Sunday's BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg. Borgia, Boreal's half-sister, won the German Derby in 1997.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Empire Dreams Stretches Out in New York Derby
- Blue Horse Charities Merging Efforts with TAA
- Uniform Drug Program Picking Up Support
- Jockey Morales Posts 1,000th Career Victory
- Heir Kitty Set for Return in Great Lady M
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Equine Infectious Disease Outbreak Response 101
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty