Secret Status and Saudi Poetry will continue their rivalry in Saturday's 27th running of the $300,000-added, Fleur de Lis Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs. The pair last tangled in the grade II Louisville Breeders' Cup Handicap on Kentucky Oaks Day 2001, where Saudi Poetry pulled the upset and Secret Status finished two lengths back in sixth.
Secret Status, the winner of the 2000 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) but an upset victim in a sixth-place finish in the Louisville Breeders' Cup (gr. II) on May 4, completed her serious training for Saturday's Fleur de Lis (gr. III) with a strong five furlong breeze at Churchill Downs. The 4-year-old chestnut daughter of 1992 Horse of the Year A.P. Indy covered the distance in 1:01.
Gourmet Girl tracked pacesetter Asher through the early going en route to a 4 1/2-length win in Sunday's $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) at Oaklawn Park. Lu Ravi finished second in the race for the second consecutive year, this time finishing a half-length ahead of Lazy Slusan. Last year's winner and this year's 8-5 favorite Heritage of Gold finished in tenth place, with Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) winner Spain fourth.
Under jockey Pat Day, Bordelaise defeated Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) winner Spain by a nose in the $271,000 Falls City Handicap (gr. III) Thursday at Churchill Downs.
WinStar Farm LLC's License Fee suffered a minor injury and will miss the Falls City Handicap (gr. III) Thursday at Churchill Downs. Meanwhile, Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) winner Spain was assigned highweight of 122 pounds for the $250,000 race.
Aaron and Marie Jones' Riboletta won her fourth consecutive race Saturday at Del Mar, reeling in pacesetter Gourmet Girl before pulling away to win the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Handicap (gr. II).
Aaron and Marie Jones' Riboletta won her third straight graded stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double