Principals in Irish horse racing have extended an agreement for the distribution of live pictures and data through 2023, Horse Racing Ireland announced March 4.
The move of major bookmakers to offshore locations helped contribute to decreased wagering yield as British racing contracted 1.2% compared with four years ago, according to a recent British Horseracing Authority report.
Draft legislation introduced in the United Kingdom would move regulation of Internet and phone wagering to the point of consumption.
- By Tom LaMarra
Racing industry participants in Australia are seeking "certainty based on a fair return" from betting operators and have taken their case to a commission charged with helping government make better policies.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - Reaction to the Congressional ban on Internet wagering was swift and severe -- at least from stock market investors who previously were bullish about online poker, sports and horse race betting, and casinos.
The California Horse Racing Board heard arguments April 24 on the issue of publications and radio shows in the state selling advertising to off-shore wagering operations. Residents of California are only able to legally bet through facilities licensed by the state, so wagering with offshore companies is in violation of state law.
Cooperation and congratulation were the main themes of the British Horseracing Board's annual meeting in London June 13. A major new initiative is a "far-reaching and all-encompassing review of the way forward for British racing."
Considering the entrenched and antagonistic stances, the April 17 agreement for the right of the main British bookmakers to bet on British racing beginning May 1 was remarkable.
Most Popular Stories
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Tampa Bay Downs Ready for Summer Festival
- Thoroughbred Makeover Tickets Now for Sale
- What's Going On Here: Internal Forces
- PA House Panel Passes Breeding Fund Revisions
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Rood & Riddle to Sponsor Breeders' Cup Draw
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism