Bonnie Heath Farm's homebred Mad Flatter won the $100,000 Spend a Buck Handicap (gr. III) for the second straight year when he held off Mambo Meister by a length Oct. 15 at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Multiple graded stakes-placed and stakes winning sire Way West was euthanized March 26 due to laminitis.
Dawn's Curtsey, a grade I winner and stakes producer, died March 15 shortly after delivering an Honor Glide colt.
Honor Glide, a millionaire son of Honor Grades, has been moved to Arthur I. Appleton's Bridlewood Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Honor Glide, who remains the only winner of the Mid-America Triple, has been retired from racing following an unplaced effort in the March 23 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT).
Under jockey Jose Santos, Christophe Clement-trained Kalu set a slow early pace and held on to win in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) by 3/4-lengths over 2-1 favorite Proud Man Saturday at Hawthorne Race Course. The 3-year-old son of Honor Grades completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.49 of firm turf. After the race, Santos broke his right wrist when the horse reared up unexpectedly while heading to the winner's circle.
Kalu, a 3-year-old son of Honor Grades, dueled for the lead throughout the $100,000 LG&E Energy Forerunner Stakes, but dug in in the stretch to win Friday's feature at Keeneland by 1 3/4 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?