During a meeting with horsemen Thursday at Saratoga Race Course, New York Racing Association president Charles Hayward said that purse accounts are fully funded and plans are being developed to build pre-race detention barns for the 2006 Saratoga season.
Fourstars Allstar, who reached stardom in New York and Ireland, was euthanized last month after breaking his neck.
The New York Racing Association, under investigation for more than three years, was indicted Thursday on fraud and conspiracy charges. Besides the indictment of NYRA, the U.S. Attorney's office in Brooklyn also unsealed indictments against two former directors of the parimutuel department as well as four former tellers on conspiracy and tax fraud charges.
After years of dipping into purse accounts to meet expenses, the New York Racing Association has, under pressure from horsemen, opened a new account that will be solely for maintaining purse winnings.
Richard Bomze has been re-elected president of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Most Popular Stories
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount
- Gulfstream Begins Apprentice Education Class