During a meeting with horsemen Thursday at Saratoga Race Course, New York Racing Association president Charles Hayward said that purse accounts are fully funded and plans are being developed to build pre-race detention barns for the 2006 Saratoga season.
Fourstars Allstar, who reached stardom in New York and Ireland, was euthanized last month after breaking his neck.
The New York Racing Association, under investigation for more than three years, was indicted Thursday on fraud and conspiracy charges. Besides the indictment of NYRA, the U.S. Attorney's office in Brooklyn also unsealed indictments against two former directors of the parimutuel department as well as four former tellers on conspiracy and tax fraud charges.
After years of dipping into purse accounts to meet expenses, the New York Racing Association has, under pressure from horsemen, opened a new account that will be solely for maintaining purse winnings.
Richard Bomze has been re-elected president of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Most Popular Stories
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- Withers Favorite El Kabeir Breezes at Belmont
- 2014 New Mexico Champions Announced
- The Legacy of Gone West
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Turfway Increases Purses, Adds Race Per Week
- Early Claiming Activity Robust at Oaklawn
- First Reported Foal for Jimmy Creed
- Texas Red Set for Super Return in San Vicente