During a meeting with horsemen Thursday at Saratoga Race Course, New York Racing Association president Charles Hayward said that purse accounts are fully funded and plans are being developed to build pre-race detention barns for the 2006 Saratoga season.
Fourstars Allstar, who reached stardom in New York and Ireland, was euthanized last month after breaking his neck.
The New York Racing Association, under investigation for more than three years, was indicted Thursday on fraud and conspiracy charges. Besides the indictment of NYRA, the U.S. Attorney's office in Brooklyn also unsealed indictments against two former directors of the parimutuel department as well as four former tellers on conspiracy and tax fraud charges.
After years of dipping into purse accounts to meet expenses, the New York Racing Association has, under pressure from horsemen, opened a new account that will be solely for maintaining purse winnings.
Richard Bomze has been re-elected president of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- TOBA July Member of the Month
- Grade I Producer Garden Secrets Dies
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues