Favored Friesan Fire scored his first victory since romping in last spring's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) when he led all the way to take the $72,750 Louisiana Handicap at Fair Grounds by 1 3/4 lengths Jan. 23.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
In the case of Friesan Fire, understanding was a little slow in coming, but Larry Jones' patience seems to be paying off. On pedigree, Jones had every reason to be confident that Friesan Fire would eventually come around.
Tom Simon was present to see the southern chapter of his Vinery operation record its first group I success when the aptly named Bollinger led almost wire-to-wire to secure a clear-cut victory in the Coolmore Stakes (Aust-I).
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat Wants 'Pharoah' to Run in Travers
- Honor Code Favored in Sparkling Whitney Field
- Priority One Jets to Sponsor Forego Stakes
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell
- NYRA Reports Strong Handle Early at Saratoga
- Wise Dan on Target for September Return
- Haskell TV Ratings Double Compared With 2014
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- Two Paths Toward Integrity