Favored Friesan Fire scored his first victory since romping in last spring's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) when he led all the way to take the $72,750 Louisiana Handicap at Fair Grounds by 1 3/4 lengths Jan. 23.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
In the case of Friesan Fire, understanding was a little slow in coming, but Larry Jones' patience seems to be paying off. On pedigree, Jones had every reason to be confident that Friesan Fire would eventually come around.
Tom Simon was present to see the southern chapter of his Vinery operation record its first group I success when the aptly named Bollinger led almost wire-to-wire to secure a clear-cut victory in the Coolmore Stakes (Aust-I).
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup