Favored Friesan Fire scored his first victory since romping in last spring's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) when he led all the way to take the $72,750 Louisiana Handicap at Fair Grounds by 1 3/4 lengths Jan. 23.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
In the case of Friesan Fire, understanding was a little slow in coming, but Larry Jones' patience seems to be paying off. On pedigree, Jones had every reason to be confident that Friesan Fire would eventually come around.
Tom Simon was present to see the southern chapter of his Vinery operation record its first group I success when the aptly named Bollinger led almost wire-to-wire to secure a clear-cut victory in the Coolmore Stakes (Aust-I).
Most Popular Stories
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Finger Lakes Gains State-Bred Incentive for Maidens
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- What's Going On Here: Beyond Imagination