Calgary Cat, Canada's defending sprint champion, seeks a repeat in the Sept. 13 Bold Venture Stakes (Can-III) at 6 1/2 furlongs. Making his second start off a long layoff is two-time sprint champ (2011-12) Essence Hit Man.
I'll Have Another's defection from the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and his bid for the Triple Crown isn't the first time a Derby/Preakness winner failed to make the gate due to an injury.
Ira "Babe" Hanford, who won the 1936 Kentucky Derby aboard Bold Venture, died Nov. 21 in Ocala, Fla. after a lengthy illness. He was 91.
Kentucky Derby winning jockeys Ira Hanford and Johnny Sellers will become the latest riders to lend their handprints to the Galt House Hotel & Suite's "Gallop to Glory" tribute to Kentucky Derby winning jockeys on May 3 at 10:30 a.m.
After stalking the pace throughout most of the 6 ½-furlong $141,250 Bold Venture Stakes at Woodbine on Sunday, I'm the Tiger, piloted by Todd Kabel, pounced on his rivals.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- No Sure Favorite in Woodbine's Royal North Stakes