Calgary Cat, Canada's defending sprint champion, seeks a repeat in the Sept. 13 Bold Venture Stakes (Can-III) at 6 1/2 furlongs. Making his second start off a long layoff is two-time sprint champ (2011-12) Essence Hit Man.
I'll Have Another's defection from the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and his bid for the Triple Crown isn't the first time a Derby/Preakness winner failed to make the gate due to an injury.
Ira "Babe" Hanford, who won the 1936 Kentucky Derby aboard Bold Venture, died Nov. 21 in Ocala, Fla. after a lengthy illness. He was 91.
Kentucky Derby winning jockeys Ira Hanford and Johnny Sellers will become the latest riders to lend their handprints to the Galt House Hotel & Suite's "Gallop to Glory" tribute to Kentucky Derby winning jockeys on May 3 at 10:30 a.m.
After stalking the pace throughout most of the 6 ½-furlong $141,250 Bold Venture Stakes at Woodbine on Sunday, I'm the Tiger, piloted by Todd Kabel, pounced on his rivals.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule