Calgary Cat, Canada's defending sprint champion, seeks a repeat in the Sept. 13 Bold Venture Stakes (Can-III) at 6 1/2 furlongs. Making his second start off a long layoff is two-time sprint champ (2011-12) Essence Hit Man.
I'll Have Another's defection from the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and his bid for the Triple Crown isn't the first time a Derby/Preakness winner failed to make the gate due to an injury.
Ira "Babe" Hanford, who won the 1936 Kentucky Derby aboard Bold Venture, died Nov. 21 in Ocala, Fla. after a lengthy illness. He was 91.
Kentucky Derby winning jockeys Ira Hanford and Johnny Sellers will become the latest riders to lend their handprints to the Galt House Hotel & Suite's "Gallop to Glory" tribute to Kentucky Derby winning jockeys on May 3 at 10:30 a.m.
After stalking the pace throughout most of the 6 ½-furlong $141,250 Bold Venture Stakes at Woodbine on Sunday, I'm the Tiger, piloted by Todd Kabel, pounced on his rivals.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill