Three-year-old Gemma's Star, enjoying a comparatively light schedule after racing a remarkable 22 times as a 2-year-old, won her third straight at Calder Saturday in the $50,000 Neddles Stakes,
Maybry's Boy closed from seventh-place to win the $100,000 Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III) on opening day of the 2002 Gulfstream Park meeting. One race earlier on the card, Bill Mott-trained 3-year-old Blue Burner earned a victory in a mile and 70 yard allowance race.
Four stakes races highlight the opening week of Thoroughbred racing at Gulfstream Park. The South Florida racetrack opens a 90-day meeting on Thursday, Jan. 3 that extends through April 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records
- Harlan's Holiday Colt Posts Swiftest OBS Work
- Quality Road's First Starter Scores Easy Win
- Take Charge Lady Kentucky Broodmare of Year
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Daring Dancer Wins Appalachian With Key Move
- European Mark Smashed Again at Tattersalls
- Strait of Mewsina Sires First Foal