Three-year-old Gemma's Star, enjoying a comparatively light schedule after racing a remarkable 22 times as a 2-year-old, won her third straight at Calder Saturday in the $50,000 Neddles Stakes,
Maybry's Boy closed from seventh-place to win the $100,000 Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III) on opening day of the 2002 Gulfstream Park meeting. One race earlier on the card, Bill Mott-trained 3-year-old Blue Burner earned a victory in a mile and 70 yard allowance race.
Four stakes races highlight the opening week of Thoroughbred racing at Gulfstream Park. The South Florida racetrack opens a 90-day meeting on Thursday, Jan. 3 that extends through April 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks
- Bullheaded Boy First Winner for Bullsbay
- Hawthorne Drops Race Dates, Cuts Fall Stakes
- Makari Wins Smithwick for Voss Murray
- King's Bishop Likely Option for Wildcat Red
- Dayatthespa, Big Blue Kitten on Whitney Card
- First Winner for Sire Concord Point