Three-year-old Gemma's Star, enjoying a comparatively light schedule after racing a remarkable 22 times as a 2-year-old, won her third straight at Calder Saturday in the $50,000 Neddles Stakes,
Maybry's Boy closed from seventh-place to win the $100,000 Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III) on opening day of the 2002 Gulfstream Park meeting. One race earlier on the card, Bill Mott-trained 3-year-old Blue Burner earned a victory in a mile and 70 yard allowance race.
Four stakes races highlight the opening week of Thoroughbred racing at Gulfstream Park. The South Florida racetrack opens a 90-day meeting on Thursday, Jan. 3 that extends through April 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Status Quo Dates for Illinois Racing in 2015
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Alcibiades Kicks Off Return to Keeneland Dirt
- 2015 Dates Conflict at Two Kentucky Tracks
- Hong Kong Sprinter to Have U.S. Prep for BC
- Grade III Winner Fiftyshadesofgold Retired
- Added-Gaming Funds More Than Third of Purses
- Tracks Find Human Touch Key With New Apps
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Big Brown Colt Tops Magic Millions 2YO Sale