With a powerful late run, Vallee Enchantee ran away with the HK$14 million, 1 1/2-mile Hong Kong Vase (HK-I), the first major race on the Hong Kong International Race card at Sha Tin Racecourse. The 3-year-old filly by Peintre Celebre was bred and is owned by the Wildenstein Stable of France.
British invader Darasim, getting the most from a crafty ride by Joe Fanning, provided a front-running romp in the marathon 1 7/8-mile Prix Kergorlay (Fr-II) at Deauville Sunday.
Ecurie Wildenstein's Super Celebre, making his career stakes debut, opened the classic French racing season with a powerful win in Sunday's Group II Prix Noailles for 3-year-olds at Longchamp.
Ange Gabriel, a colt who until now, had only won in listed company, upset favored filly Aquarelliste and ran away with a two-length win in Sunday's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.
Aquarelliste improved her career record to five wins from six starts with a half-length win over Execute in the Prix Ganay (Fr-I) on Sunday at Longchamp. Under Dominique Boeuf, the French-bred filly completed the 10 1/2 furlongs in 2:11.4 on good turf at the French track.
Daniel Wildenstein's Aquarelliste maintained her unblemished career record Sunday at Chantilly, utilizing a wide rally to win the Prix de Diane Hermes--French Oaks (Fr-I) by 1 1/2 lengths over Nadia.
On turf rated good at Longchamp Sunday, lightly raced Nadia won the Prix Saint-Alary (Fr-I) by a head over Mare Nostrum. The winner completed the 1 1/4-mile French Oaks prep in 2:08 3/5.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified