At the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority meeting Feb. 25, John Vietch, the organization's chief state steward, reported on two major rulings that have taken place since the New Year.
Stony Oak Farm's Elusive Jazz, making his graded stakes debut, rolled to victory with a well-timed ride from Robby Albarado in the $266,500 Phoenix Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Keeneland.
Storm's Darling made amends for a subpar performance last month by rallying to her first career stakes victory in the $75,000 Chou Croute Handicap Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course.
Louisiana Super Derby (gr. II) winner Fantasticat breezed four furlongs Wednesday at Churchill Downs in preparation for a possible run in the $500,000-added Clark Handicap (gr. II) Nov. 26.
Trainer Bobby Barnett insists it wasn't planned but admits it's an eerie coincidence his 2004 Breeders' Cup contender Fantasticat now occupies the stall at Churchill Downs that once housed Answer Lively, the horse he trained that won the 1998 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and went on to be named 2-year-old champion.
Outsider Fantasticat held off perennial bridesmaid Borrego to grind out victory in the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. II) by a half-length at muddy Louisiana Downs Saturday.
Arthur B. Hancock III's Owsley, a multiple graded stakes winning mare, invades from New York as the 120-pound high weight for Saturday's $150,000 Modesty Handicap (gr. III) at Arlington Park.
Mary and Gary West's Clark Handicap (gr. II) contender Dollar Bill turned in a sharp five furlong work Friday, leading a parade of horses that turned in solid preps for next week's stakes races that will close out the Churchill Downs Fall Meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Another Chapter for John Nerud
- Oaklawn Park Cancels Feb. 28 Racing
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- Trainer A. C. Avila Suspended, Fined by CHRB
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Shamal Wind, Suavito Sprint to Caulfield Wins
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A