A colt from the first crop of grade I winner Paynter sold for $520,000 at the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 16, becoming the fourth session's highest-priced horse a bit more than a quarter of the way into the session.
Razor sharp Starship Truffles seized the lead rounding the turn and drew off impressively in the stretch to post an 8-1 upset in the $350,000 Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. I) July 6 at Calder Casino & Race Course.
A trio of stakes winners highlight the field for Saturday's $100,000 Herecomesthebride Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park. The Herecomesthebride, which is the eighth event on the 11-race card, drew 14 but the 1 1/8-mile race will be limited to a dozen starters.
Sanford Goldfarb's New York-bred filly Bobbie Use won the $100,000 Tropical Park Oaks at Calder Race Course on Thursday, defeating Cold Wynnter by a neck. Last Waltz was a length and a half back in third.
C.K. Woods Stable's homebred Timo invades Calder from New Orleans for the second time at the meet as the horse to beat in a full field of young prospects on their third birthday in the $100,000 Tropical Park Derby (gr. III) Thursday.
Please Take Me Out set the pace and held off Bobbie Use in the final strides to win the $84,400 Miss Grillo Stakes on closing day Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture