In the wake of the fatal breakdown of the filly Eight Belles in the May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), The Jockey Club has commissioned a seven-member Thoroughbred Safety Committee, and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association board of directors has scheduled a special meeting May 9 to discuss a course of action.
Jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr., who accommodated countless media requests in the process of becoming the winningest rider in Thoroughbred racing history last December and then again when he crossed the 9,000-win plateau on Oct. 28 of this year, has been voted the first two-time winner of Big Sport of Turfdom award.
Most Popular Stories
- Stopchargingmaria Will Be Offered at F-T Sale
- Research Produces Cobalt Test Recommendation
- Renovations Noted at 'Gulfstream Park West'
- The Week in Photos for 9/30/2014
- Grade III winner Fiftyshadesofgold Retired
- TOBA September Member of the Month
- Santa Anita Can't Hurt Shared Belief
- Banke, Haggin Join Keeneland Advisory Board
- Slideshow: Champions Challenge of Brazil
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing