Horses sired by New York stallions will be the center of attention Sunday at Aqueduct when the track hosts another New York Stallion Series.
Saturday's $250,000 Empire Classic, the marquee race on New York Showcase Day at Belmont Park, is so wide open that Rudina Stable's filly Board Elligible, has a big shot in a field of 15.
Michael Paulson's Azeri, a three-time champion who became North America's all-time richest female in winning the Aug. 1 Go for Wand Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga, was assigned top weight of 122 pounds in Friday's $400,000 Personal Ensign Handicap (gr. I).
The champion mare Azeri can become the all-time top-earning mare in North American racing with a victory in the $250,000 Go for Wand Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course Sunday. But to do so, she'll have to overcome Sightseek, who trounced her in their most recent start in the Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park June 19.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Kentucky Horsemen Prepped on New Drug Rules
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- Fair Grounds Hall of Fame Inducts Proud Spell
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe