Horses sired by New York stallions will be the center of attention Sunday at Aqueduct when the track hosts another New York Stallion Series.
Saturday's $250,000 Empire Classic, the marquee race on New York Showcase Day at Belmont Park, is so wide open that Rudina Stable's filly Board Elligible, has a big shot in a field of 15.
Michael Paulson's Azeri, a three-time champion who became North America's all-time richest female in winning the Aug. 1 Go for Wand Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga, was assigned top weight of 122 pounds in Friday's $400,000 Personal Ensign Handicap (gr. I).
The champion mare Azeri can become the all-time top-earning mare in North American racing with a victory in the $250,000 Go for Wand Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course Sunday. But to do so, she'll have to overcome Sightseek, who trounced her in their most recent start in the Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park June 19.
Most Popular Stories
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- John Henry, Phil Marino, and Early Cajun Days
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George