Graded stakes winner Wynn Dot Comma will get a sharp challenge from a couple of Todd Pletcher-trained rivals, Deputy Storm and Limehouse, in the 51st running of the $150,000 Hutcheson (gr. II) Saturday, a seven-furlong test for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park.
The lightly-raced Saratoga County has earned a chance to build on his runner-up effort to Wynn Dot Comma in the Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III) according to trainer George Weaver, and will run in Saturday's Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
The $250,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) on Feb. 14 should provide a good deal of drama, as New York-bred Read the Footnotes takes on arguably the strongest Calder-based contingent ever assembled on the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trail.
This time of year, allowance races often hold more intrigue than stakes, as you never know if some new exciting star is going to emerge. On Friday, a 1 1/16-mile allowance race at Santa Anita will feature three potential Kentucky Derby (gr. I) hopefuls –- Dwango, Spellbinder, and Bornwithit.
Team Valor Stable's Tiger Hunt overcame a bad start in his second career outing to post a 1 1/4-length win in Monday's $200,000 Miller Genuine Draft Cradle Stakes for 2-year-olds at Cincinnati's River Downs.
Blushing Indian, second to Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Chapel Royal in his last start, heads a field of 10 for Monday's Miller Genuine Draft Cradle Stakes at River Downs. At 1 1/16 miles, the $200,000 Cradle is the first big-money stakes for 2-year-olds around two turns.
Still unsure of the cause, trainer Barclay Tagg said Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Funny Cide was on the improve after spiking a fever of 102 Monday morning.
Todd Pletcher's powerful barn will be in early evidence during the Saratoga season when he saddles a pair of favorites, Chapel Royal and Heckle, in Thursday's $150,000 Sanford Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale