Seven weeks after stealing the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT), Red Oak Stable's Sweet Return employed similar front-running tactics in Monday's $150,000 San Marcos (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita with the same result: a gate-to-wire victory.
One of the nation's premier turf horses returns to action Sunday when Brazilian-bred Redattore carries high weight of 122 pounds in the $150,000 San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Park.
Storming Home, whose United States debut in the Jim Murray Handicap last month produced an electrifying victory, is a strong favorite over five rivals in Saturday's $350,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park.
While Bobby Frankel will be at Churchill Downs on Saturday to saddle favored Empire Maker in the 129th Kentucky Derby, an assistant trainer will tend to likely favorite Blue Steller in Hollywood Park's $100,000 Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/16 mile on turf.
Jockey Victor Espinoza, who won his first Kentucky Derby on longshot War Emblem last year, will spend the first Saturday in May at Hollywood Park.
Adminniestrator, who has won his last two races, including the inaugural $500,000 Barretts/CTBA Turf at 1 1/8 miles in the Sunshine Millions on Jan. 25, will stretch out to 12 furlongs in Saturday's $250,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
Australian-bred Delta Form, a 20-1 longshot trained by Jenine Sahadi, ran down The Tin Man in the closing strides to win the $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) by a neck Sunday.
A full gate of 10 horses, including trainer Bobby Frankel's Blue Stellar and Dance Dreamer, appears certain for Sunday's running of the $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 3/8 miles over the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Laurel Park to Introduce Fans to Ownership Experience
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf