Orfevre, expected favorite in his title defense in the June 23 Takarazuka Kinen (Jpn-I), was withdrawn from the race after the 2011 Triple Crown champion bled following training June 13.
Just days before the Breeders' Cup board of directors conducted a vote on Salix use at its world championships, prominent owners Gary and Mary West threatened litigation against the organization.
Racing consultant Earl Ola talks about the relationship between conditioning and exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhaging (EIPH), also known as bleeding read blog
The pros and cons of race-day medication in racehorses were debated Nov. 14 during a lengthy meeting of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission Race Day Medication Committee at the state Capitol.
A South African study showed a strong heritability between some stallions and exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhaging, also known as bleeding.
Jockey Randy Meier broke his shoulder and a rib Monday at Hawthorne after his mount Demon Like bled and collapsed. Both jockey and horse are recovering.
Scientists at the University of California-Davis have uncovered new information that might explain why horses bleed internally when they exercise.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- Welfare and Safety Summit Set for June 28
- Mid-Year Look at the BC Classic
- NJ-Bred Chublicious Captures Mr. Prospector