Freshman sire Colonel John sired his first winner when his 2-year-old colt Cash Conversion captured a $35,000 maiden special weight race by a decisive 2 3/4 lengths at Presque Isle Downs June 2.
Significant Bling, bred and owned by Blazing Meadows Farm, is the first 2-year-old filly to be voted Ohio horse of the year in the 49 years of the award.
Bruce Ryan and the Blazing Meadows Farm's 42-1 shot Smarmy concluded a day of upsets in the 2007 renewal of the Best of Ohio series at Beulah Park with an impressive victory in the $100,000 Best of Ohio Endurance on Saturday.
The Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners held their annual awards banquet honoring the 2006 Ohio Horse of the Year Too Much Bling and other divisional champions at Thistledown April 14. The OTBO also recently announced the election of several new trustees to their board.
Too Much Bling made a three wide move on the turn and took command in the final furlong to post a two-length win as the prohibitive 1-2 favorite in Saturday's $300,000 Carry Back (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Calder Race Course's Summit of Speed.
Favorite Too Much Bling turned in a dazzling nine-length victory in the $150,000 Bay Shore (gr. III) on a sloppy, sealed Aqueduct track Saturday, establishing himself as the leading 3-year-old sprinter in the country.
The flashy Too Much Bling may not have the sort of stamina needed for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), but the gray colt showed plenty of quality in winning the San Vicente (gr. II) at seven furlongs Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos