Freshman sire Colonel John sired his first winner when his 2-year-old colt Cash Conversion captured a $35,000 maiden special weight race by a decisive 2 3/4 lengths at Presque Isle Downs June 2.
Significant Bling, bred and owned by Blazing Meadows Farm, is the first 2-year-old filly to be voted Ohio horse of the year in the 49 years of the award.
Bruce Ryan and the Blazing Meadows Farm's 42-1 shot Smarmy concluded a day of upsets in the 2007 renewal of the Best of Ohio series at Beulah Park with an impressive victory in the $100,000 Best of Ohio Endurance on Saturday.
The Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners held their annual awards banquet honoring the 2006 Ohio Horse of the Year Too Much Bling and other divisional champions at Thistledown April 14. The OTBO also recently announced the election of several new trustees to their board.
Too Much Bling made a three wide move on the turn and took command in the final furlong to post a two-length win as the prohibitive 1-2 favorite in Saturday's $300,000 Carry Back (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Calder Race Course's Summit of Speed.
Favorite Too Much Bling turned in a dazzling nine-length victory in the $150,000 Bay Shore (gr. III) on a sloppy, sealed Aqueduct track Saturday, establishing himself as the leading 3-year-old sprinter in the country.
The flashy Too Much Bling may not have the sort of stamina needed for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), but the gray colt showed plenty of quality in winning the San Vicente (gr. II) at seven furlongs Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Longshots on Saratoga's Closing Day
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Inside Yearling Sales Prep: Behavior
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Wise Dan Passes Return Test in Flying Colors
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup
- Jo Jo Warrior Helps Zayat Celebrate Birthday
- Stonestreet Has Star in Making in Atreides
- Plesa Sweeps Juvenile Stakes at Monmouth