Grade III winner Kid Cruz, most recently fourth in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), is having surgery to remove a chip from his left knee and will miss the rest of the year, trainer Linda Rice said Aug. 29 from Saratoga.
Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) runner-up Tonalist and third-place finisher Kid Cruz both came out of the July 26 race well, and their respective trainers confirmed they will point to the Travers Stakes (gr. I).
Recent classic starter Kid Cruz reeled in entrymate and pacesetter Captain Serious in deep stretch to win the $196,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. III) in the final strides July 5 at Belmont Park.
Kid Cruz, a two-time stakes winner in Maryland earlier this year, has been withdrawn from consideration for the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), trainer Linda Rice said after consultation with his owners.
Each time Steven Brandt would acquire a new horse, his mother Shirley would respond somewhat skeptically, "Oh, no, you didn't spend more money on horses." Until he bought Kid Cruz, that is.
Sean Avery, a grade I winner at Saratoga, has been retired from racing and will reside at Old Friends near Georgetown, Ky.
Grade I winner Sean Avery returned to action following a 13-month layoff to capture the minor Affiliate Stakes by 2 1/4 lengths on opening day of the fall meet at Belmont Park Sept. 8.
Front-running Sean Avery, under all-out pressure from jockey Joe Bravo, nosed odds-on choice Trappe Shot to produce a 17-1 stunner in the $250,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 7.
Gantry set a Belmont Park inner turf course record June 23, covering six furlongs in 1:06.87 when winning a $52,000 optional claimer for 3-year-olds and up.
Most Popular Stories
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill
- Casino Could Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Slideshow: Top 10 Races of 2014
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Marketer Voluntarily Recalls Equine Gastric Ulcer Product
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund