Jockey Julie Krone milked a slow pace with unexpected front-runner Sweet Return and the longshot colt had the stamina to hold off his fast-closing stablemate Fairly Ransom to claim Sunday's $600,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) by a half-length.
Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Moss' Stanley Park surged past favored Bis Repetitas near the eighth pole and swept to an easy 2 1/2-length victory in the $100,000 Bay Meadows Derby (gr. IIIT) Saturday.
Led by La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Singletary, a field of 10 3-year-olds is entered Saturday in the $300,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) at 1 1/8 miles on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
After a Thursday morning drenching, the big news as Arlington Park prepares to host the International Festival of Racing Saturday was the absence of three grade I headliners on the course.
Moyglare Stud Farm Ltd.'s Evolving Tactics, J. J. Pletcher & Barry Simon's Lismore Knight, and Mrs. John Magnier & Michael Tabor's France head a well-matched group of 11 sophomore grass specialists from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean assembled for Saturday's $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) at Arlington Park.
Just Wonder, ridden by Kent Desormeaux, cut loose a furious rally while wide on the final turn and went on to win the $184,550 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Hollywood Park turf Sunday.
Fourteen late nominations – seven from national earnings leader Bobby Frankel -- were received by the Hollywood Park racing office before the deadline for the $2.1-million Autumn Turf Festival Nov. 29 to Dec. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Brave Anna Upsets Cheveley Park Stakes
- Tepin Among Stakes Nominees at Keeneland
- Blacktype Wins Record Commonwealth Turf Cup
- 'Lion' Front-Running Upsetter in Middle Park
- Black Heart Bart, Bon Aurum Win at Caulfield
- Flintshire Among First 'Super Saturday' Cast
- Lexie Lou to Keeneland November