Turfway Park struggled to fill fields early in the meet and missed a big-handle day in the Kentucky Cup Day of Champions as handle and purses fell at the fall meet.
All-sources pari-mutuel handle on Turfway Park races during its winter/spring meet dropped 11.2%, while ontrack handle on live racing was down 16.5%, track officials said April 2.
Trainer Joe Woodard won his 1,000th race Tuesday, Oct. 11, when he saddled Just Call'er to victory in the eighth race at Beulah Park.
Turfway Park, which cut six racing dates and all but one stakes race, reported a slight increase in average daily on-track wagering and a decline in other handle categories during the 16-day fall meet that ended Oct. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint