Turfway Park struggled to fill fields early in the meet and missed a big-handle day in the Kentucky Cup Day of Champions as handle and purses fell at the fall meet.
All-sources pari-mutuel handle on Turfway Park races during its winter/spring meet dropped 11.2%, while ontrack handle on live racing was down 16.5%, track officials said April 2.
Trainer Joe Woodard won his 1,000th race Tuesday, Oct. 11, when he saddled Just Call'er to victory in the eighth race at Beulah Park.
Turfway Park, which cut six racing dates and all but one stakes race, reported a slight increase in average daily on-track wagering and a decline in other handle categories during the 16-day fall meet that ended Oct. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- Connect Leads 1-2 Finish for Brown in Curlin
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Arlington, Hawthorne Reach Dates Agreement
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Thunderstorm Forces Ellis to Cancel Races
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell