The Breeders' Cup will again present the most outstanding jockey of the Breeders' Cup World Championships with the Bill Shoemaker Award based on competition in the 13 races Oct. 31-Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
Propelled by three wins over the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships Nov. 1-2, Mike Smith won his second Bill Shoemaker Award in a row as the most outstanding jockey of the 30th edition of the event at Santa Anita.
Retama Park reported mixed results with a 9% increase in average daily live attendance; a 15% drop in average daily live wagering, and a modest 4% decrease in average daily export wagering during the 32-day meet.
Garrett Gomez, who rode Stevie Wonderboy and Artie Schiller to victory in the Oct. 29 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, received the 2005 Bill Shoemaker Award for outstanding performance by a jockey on Breeders' Cup Championship day Sunday morning at Belmont Park.
Jockey Alex Solis, who had two victories and one second on Saturday's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships card at Santa Anita, was voted recipient of the inaugural Bill Shoemaker Award.
Most Popular Stories
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Tired After Travers, 'Classic' Ahead
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Stellar Wind Dominant in Torrey Pines
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Valid Bounds Away to Iselin Victory
- NY Fan Forum: Improve Customer Service
- Navarro Mulling BC Dirt Mile for Private Zone
- Smokey the Pony Reining at Saratoga
- Site Read Favored in With Anticipation