Propelled by three wins over the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships Nov. 1-2, Mike Smith won his second Bill Shoemaker Award in a row as the most outstanding jockey of the 30th edition of the event at Santa Anita.
Retama Park reported mixed results with a 9% increase in average daily live attendance; a 15% drop in average daily live wagering, and a modest 4% decrease in average daily export wagering during the 32-day meet.
Garrett Gomez, who rode Stevie Wonderboy and Artie Schiller to victory in the Oct. 29 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, received the 2005 Bill Shoemaker Award for outstanding performance by a jockey on Breeders' Cup Championship day Sunday morning at Belmont Park.
Jockey Alex Solis, who had two victories and one second on Saturday's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships card at Santa Anita, was voted recipient of the inaugural Bill Shoemaker Award.
Most Popular Stories
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Penn National Plans to Race 200 Days in 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- TOBA November Member of the Month
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- TOBA Ownership Webcasts
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014