The Breeders' Cup will again present the most outstanding jockey of the Breeders' Cup World Championships with the Bill Shoemaker Award based on competition in the 13 races Oct. 31-Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
Propelled by three wins over the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships Nov. 1-2, Mike Smith won his second Bill Shoemaker Award in a row as the most outstanding jockey of the 30th edition of the event at Santa Anita.
Retama Park reported mixed results with a 9% increase in average daily live attendance; a 15% drop in average daily live wagering, and a modest 4% decrease in average daily export wagering during the 32-day meet.
Garrett Gomez, who rode Stevie Wonderboy and Artie Schiller to victory in the Oct. 29 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, received the 2005 Bill Shoemaker Award for outstanding performance by a jockey on Breeders' Cup Championship day Sunday morning at Belmont Park.
Jockey Alex Solis, who had two victories and one second on Saturday's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships card at Santa Anita, was voted recipient of the inaugural Bill Shoemaker Award.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Enola Gray Passes Two-Turn Test in Melair
- Royal Ascot Journey Confirmed for Tepin
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms