Management at Suffolk Downs announced Aug. 16 the track will reduce average daily purse distribution by 26% for the second half of its 2010 racing season to achieve a 13% reduction in purses for the meet.
Suffolk Downs is offering free admission as it opens the gates for its 75th anniversary season May 15. Gates open at 10:00 a.m. and first post time for the nine-race program is 1:15 p.m.
On Monday, Massachusetts' Governor Deval Patrick announced plans for the state to begin considering private bids for three casinos, to be strategically located in Southeastern Massachusetts, Western Massachusetts, and an area which would include Boston and points north.
Suffolk Downs, which recently underwent a change in ownership, announced Aug. 15 that Bill Mulrow is the new chairman of the board of directors, and Chip Tuttle and John Rizzo have been named chief operating officer and chief financial officer, respectively.
Most Popular Stories
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase