Hosted by Lenny Shulman and Steve Haskin, "And They're Off" is a bi-monthly online video series sponsored by Darby Dan Farm. This week's topics include Curlin's Breeders' Cup Status, the 2010 Breeders' Cup site, Tin Cup Chalice, and remember Bill Donovan. Also, where to get the best lunch at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale.
Bill Donovan, whose popular "Backtracks" column appeared in The Blood-Horse, will be memorialized at Laurel Park Sat., Sept. 6 at noon.
Bill Donovan, who trained millionaire Lost Code and authored the popular "Backtracks: Recollections of a racetrack lifer" for The Blood-Horse, died Wednesday morning.
- By Steve Haskin
by Steve Haskin-- As the three courageous Thoroughbreds battled to the wire, the pounding of my heart was drowned out by the roar of the crowd. The '87 Haskell was the first race of historical significance I was covering for a major trade publication and I was trying hard to keep my emotions in check. I kept hearing the same words over and over: "Stay objective."
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- VA-Bred Owners' Bonus Program Begins July 1
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Playing Exactas at the Summit of Speed
- Family Tree Scores in Iowa Oaks
- 'Ghost' Takes on Males in Queen's Plate