Hosted by Lenny Shulman and Steve Haskin, "And They're Off" is a bi-monthly online video series sponsored by Darby Dan Farm. This week's topics include Curlin's Breeders' Cup Status, the 2010 Breeders' Cup site, Tin Cup Chalice, and remember Bill Donovan. Also, where to get the best lunch at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale.
Bill Donovan, whose popular "Backtracks" column appeared in The Blood-Horse, will be memorialized at Laurel Park Sat., Sept. 6 at noon.
Bill Donovan, who trained millionaire Lost Code and authored the popular "Backtracks: Recollections of a racetrack lifer" for The Blood-Horse, died Wednesday morning.
- By Steve Haskin
by Steve Haskin-- As the three courageous Thoroughbreds battled to the wire, the pounding of my heart was drowned out by the roar of the crowd. The '87 Haskell was the first race of historical significance I was covering for a major trade publication and I was trying hard to keep my emotions in check. I kept hearing the same words over and over: "Stay objective."
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees