Hosted by Lenny Shulman and Steve Haskin, "And They're Off" is a bi-monthly online video series sponsored by Darby Dan Farm. This week's topics include Curlin's Breeders' Cup Status, the 2010 Breeders' Cup site, Tin Cup Chalice, and remember Bill Donovan. Also, where to get the best lunch at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale.
Bill Donovan, whose popular "Backtracks" column appeared in The Blood-Horse, will be memorialized at Laurel Park Sat., Sept. 6 at noon.
Bill Donovan, who trained millionaire Lost Code and authored the popular "Backtracks: Recollections of a racetrack lifer" for The Blood-Horse, died Wednesday morning.
- By Steve Haskin
by Steve Haskin-- As the three courageous Thoroughbreds battled to the wire, the pounding of my heart was drowned out by the roar of the crowd. The '87 Haskell was the first race of historical significance I was covering for a major trade publication and I was trying hard to keep my emotions in check. I kept hearing the same words over and over: "Stay objective."
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Kentucky Rescinds Dextrophan Positives