Bill Cubbedge's Molly Morgan shot through an opening along the rail on the final turn and drew away to an easy upset victory in the $216,200 Fleur de Lis Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs the evening of June 14.
Mike Lauffer, who bred and raced Shackleford in partnership with Bill Cubbedge, said the partners are looking for mares at the Keeneland sale to mate to the 2011 Preakness winner.
Shackleford gave his fans something to remember in the final start of his career with a gate to wire victory in the 138th edition of the $447,000 Clark Handicap (gr. I) Nov. 23 at Churchill Downs.
After a thrilling stretch duel with champion Amazombie, Mike Lauffer and Bill Cubbedge's Shackleford inched clear in deep stretch to win the $441,600 Churchill Downs Stakes (gr. II) May 5.
Shackleford, last year's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner, will stand at stud at John Phillips' Darby Dan Farm near Lexington following the 2012 racing season.
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Shackleford was foaled in Kentucky and his trainer, Dale Romans, is based there, but the colt also has close ties to South Carolina.
Shackleford ends Kingdom's Triple Crown bid Read Blog
When Mike Lauffer and partner Bill Cubbedge bought back a Forestry colt at the 2009 Keeneland September yearling sale, they thought long and hard before naming the newest member of their racing stable. Read Blog
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Heerman Shaped Today's Thoroughbred Sales
- Empire Dreams Stretches Out in New York Derby
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20
- That Handicapping Show: Delaware Handicap
- Delaware Park, Horsemen Extend Contract
- Uniform Drug Program Picking Up Support
- Blue Horse Charities Merging Efforts with TAA
- Jockey Morales Posts 1,000th Career Victory