All 17 of the stakes presented by Thistledown last year will return for the 2012 meet including Ohio's only graded stakes, the Ohio Derby (gr. III).
A smaller horse population as its 2011 meet nears an end was cited for cancellation of live racing Oct. 27 at Thistledown.
Longtime racing official Allen Fairbanks died Jan. 17 in Florida after a long illness.
The Ohio Derby, with a smaller purse and lower grade, will be run July 31, Thistledown officials said.
Breeders' Cup Ltd. will add a total of $200,000 in purse money to three Gulfstream Park races in 2008.
Gulfstream Park and the affiliated Palm Meadows Training Center have received about 3,600 stall applications for 2,452 stalls, officials at the South Florida racetrack said.
Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino announced its 2008 stakes schedule Aug. 24, which is highlighted by the $1-million Florida Derby (gr. I) and a pair of changes in the Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III).
Bill Couch has been named racing secretary at Gulfstream Park for the 2008 meet, the track recently announced.
The Ohio State Racing Commission is expected to approve a cut in the number of live Thoroughbred and harness racing dates in the state during its Nov. 19 meeting.
As the year 2004 comes to a close, Thistledown is moving up post time. Post time for Dec. 30 will be 12:15 p.m. for a 10-race card. The action will begin at noon on Dec. 31.
Thistledown's plan to revamp its racing program to compete for horses with nearby Mountaineer Park in West Virginia has paid off, at least very early in its 2001 meet. Track general manager Bill Murphy said the increase in field size had much to do with the spike in handle.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Emerald Downs Purses to Rise 20% in 2015
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Pedigree Analysis: Milwaukee Brew
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill