How much weight does a horse actually carry in a race? No matter what the program says, nobody seems to know for sure. The California Horse Racing Board hopes an ad hoc committee can help revamp pre-race weigh-in practices.
Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buzzards Bay was purchased by Gary and Wendy Broad for $725,000 Monday at the conclusion of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky yearling sale in Lexington, Ky.
Comments made by Sweet Catomine co-owner Marty Wygod after her flop as the odds-on favorite in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 9 spurred an investigation into the champion filly's pre-race activities and condition.
Distinction, who topped the 2000 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale at $4.2 million, has been retired and will stand in Oklahoma.
California racing regulators hope they can head off a widely-held suspicion on the backside that some trainers are cheating before that perception becomes the assumption on the front side.
Ocean Terrace stamped himself as a leading Kentucky Derby contender when he scored an impressive victory in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- Divisidero, Bolo Meet in Deep Belmont Derby
- Lady Eli Heads Brown's Belmont Oaks Hand
- Kentuckian Tops Los Alamitos Derby Field
- Texas Red Provides Dwyer Stakes Star Power
- Classic Winner Tonalist Towers Over Suburban
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Full Training
- Grade I Winners Meet in Belmont Sprint
- Trainer Walsh Says Mistake Led to Positive
- Twining Dies in Japan at Age 24
- California Implements New Whip Rule