How much weight does a horse actually carry in a race? No matter what the program says, nobody seems to know for sure. The California Horse Racing Board hopes an ad hoc committee can help revamp pre-race weigh-in practices.
Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buzzards Bay was purchased by Gary and Wendy Broad for $725,000 Monday at the conclusion of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky yearling sale in Lexington, Ky.
Comments made by Sweet Catomine co-owner Marty Wygod after her flop as the odds-on favorite in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 9 spurred an investigation into the champion filly's pre-race activities and condition.
Distinction, who topped the 2000 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale at $4.2 million, has been retired and will stand in Oklahoma.
California racing regulators hope they can head off a widely-held suspicion on the backside that some trainers are cheating before that perception becomes the assumption on the front side.
Ocean Terrace stamped himself as a leading Kentucky Derby contender when he scored an impressive victory in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Far Right Works, Confirmed for Southwest
- Complete List of Triple Crown Nominees
- Futura Powerful J&B Met Winner at Kenilworth
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail