Two juveniles from the H & E Ranch consignment had local trainers buzzing at the Jan. 22 Barretts mixed sale in Pomona, Calif., and by sale's end Mike Harrington and Jim Cassidy ended up with them.
Barretts concluded its two-day October yearling sale in Southern California with an overall average price of $16,881, an increase of 19.5% from 2010.
Led by two colts who each brought $100,000, the first session of the Barretts October Yearling Sale rose 47.15% in average, to $27,145. The 55 head sold at the Oct. 11 session grossed $1,493,000, up 42% from the 2010 gross.
The California Cup yearling sale will get an added boost this year from a dispersal of California breeding stock owned by Martin and Pam Wygod.
Blind Luck's Alabama victory added another chapter to her remarkable story
With a catalog consisting of nearly 90% California-breds, this year's Barretts yearling sale is well-positioned for Oct. 5, two days after California Cup XX at Oak Tree. Renamed the inaugural California Cup yearling sale, the auction will begin at 11 a.m. (PDT) at the Hinds Pavilion on the Barretts sale grounds in Pomona, Calif.
Jerry McMahon, founding president and general manager of Barretts Equine Limited, is resigning from the Southern California-based auction firm effective Jan. 3, 2009.
MaxWest Environmental Systems and Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association have announced a partnership to convert horse waste into renewable energy.
Barretts Equine Limited has signed a multi-year agreement with Live Global Bid to provide Web-casting and internet bidding on Barretts auctions..
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?