Internationally renowned stallion Last Tycoon, winner of the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Santa Anita in 1986 when he also was named Europe's champion sprinter, died on May 27 at Japan's Arrow Stud, where he had stood since 1998.
The grade I winner Meteor Storm, knocking on the door against top-caliber stakes company since March, gained his first victory of 2005 while fully extended in Saturday's $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Calder Race Course turf.
Reserved early, Meteor Storm and Jose Valdivia Jr. came flying down the outside of the course to win the $400,000 Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) Saturday on the Belmont Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Creator Turns in Final Kentucky Derby Breeze
- Gun Runner Wraps Up Major Pre-Derby Work
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Breeder Lucy Bassett Dies at 87
- Asmussen Breezes Four Oaks Hopefuls
- Nyquist Top 3YO in Final Pre-Derby NTRA Poll
- Hermann Named Golden Gate Announcer
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby