Internationally renowned stallion Last Tycoon, winner of the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Santa Anita in 1986 when he also was named Europe's champion sprinter, died on May 27 at Japan's Arrow Stud, where he had stood since 1998.
The grade I winner Meteor Storm, knocking on the door against top-caliber stakes company since March, gained his first victory of 2005 while fully extended in Saturday's $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Calder Race Course turf.
Reserved early, Meteor Storm and Jose Valdivia Jr. came flying down the outside of the course to win the $400,000 Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) Saturday on the Belmont Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- Champ Calgary Cat Up Late in Jacques Cartier
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- The Pharoah Show Gets Rave Reviews
- Blingismything Rallies to Capture Wilshire
- Jacobson, Cruz Take Aqueduct Spring Titles
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill