Internationally renowned stallion Last Tycoon, winner of the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Santa Anita in 1986 when he also was named Europe's champion sprinter, died on May 27 at Japan's Arrow Stud, where he had stood since 1998.
The grade I winner Meteor Storm, knocking on the door against top-caliber stakes company since March, gained his first victory of 2005 while fully extended in Saturday's $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Calder Race Course turf.
Reserved early, Meteor Storm and Jose Valdivia Jr. came flying down the outside of the course to win the $400,000 Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) Saturday on the Belmont Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Toast of New York Out of Dubai World Cup
- Jockey Chapa's Fine Increased to $100,000
- California Chrome 'Tight Enough' for Dubai
- Ike Walker Rules South Mississippi at FG
- At Santa Anita, Prat Delivers at a Price
- American Pharoah Adds Another Bullet Work
- Live Chat - Friday, March 6 at NOON EST
- Belardo, Hootenanny Among Guineas Nominees
- That Handicapping Show: Santa Anita Handicap
- Compromise Possible for Racing in Virginia