As usual, trainer Bob Baffert has the racing world hanging on his every move leading up to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), even as he enters horses in the April 26 Derby Trial (gr. III).
There were five 2-year-olds entered in the $196,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 29 at Belmont Park, but it turned out to be a two-horse race as fast-developing In Trouble topped favored Corfu for a comfortable win.
Trainer Todd Pletcher swept last year's Matron and Futurity stakes for 2-year-olds last year at Belmont Park with Kauai Katie and Overanalyze, and is well positioned to try it again Sept. 29 in New York.
Corfu and Wired Bryan, who put on quite a performance in the Aug. 11 Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II), are back for a rematch Sept. 2 in the $300,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Taghrooda Flies to King George Triumph
- Keeneland's Historical Racing Plans Delayed
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move