As usual, trainer Bob Baffert has the racing world hanging on his every move leading up to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), even as he enters horses in the April 26 Derby Trial (gr. III).
There were five 2-year-olds entered in the $196,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 29 at Belmont Park, but it turned out to be a two-horse race as fast-developing In Trouble topped favored Corfu for a comfortable win.
Trainer Todd Pletcher swept last year's Matron and Futurity stakes for 2-year-olds last year at Belmont Park with Kauai Katie and Overanalyze, and is well positioned to try it again Sept. 29 in New York.
Corfu and Wired Bryan, who put on quite a performance in the Aug. 11 Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II), are back for a rematch Sept. 2 in the $300,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- CDI Gets 5-Year Contract with Saratoga Casino
- Colorado Voters to Decide on Racino Gaming
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales