As usual, trainer Bob Baffert has the racing world hanging on his every move leading up to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), even as he enters horses in the April 26 Derby Trial (gr. III).
There were five 2-year-olds entered in the $196,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 29 at Belmont Park, but it turned out to be a two-horse race as fast-developing In Trouble topped favored Corfu for a comfortable win.
Trainer Todd Pletcher swept last year's Matron and Futurity stakes for 2-year-olds last year at Belmont Park with Kauai Katie and Overanalyze, and is well positioned to try it again Sept. 29 in New York.
Corfu and Wired Bryan, who put on quite a performance in the Aug. 11 Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II), are back for a rematch Sept. 2 in the $300,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- HRTV to Air Live Coverage of Breeders' Cup
- Raffetto Joins New England HPBA Effort
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup
- Fawkner, Adelaide Among Cox Plate Favorites
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- Kentucky Regulator Approves 2015 Race Dates
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process