Millionaire Cosmonaut figures to be the clear favorite in the Nov. 23 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs. The field of seasoned, older runners features horses bred in Kentucky, California, Canada, England, and Ireland.
The $150,000 Sycamore Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland has drawn 10 older horses seeking redemption after recent performances.
Shadwell Stable's Shakis, cutting back to nine furlongs for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin, rode the hedge to victory in the $200,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap (gr. IIT), setting a record on the Mellon Turf Course in the process Aug. 25.
Trainer Patrick Biancone planned on running his multiple graded stakes winner Cosmonaut in the Arlington Million (gr. IT) earlier this month, but a minor foot problem prevented it. Instead they'll shoot for a nice consolation prize in the $200,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Saratoga turf as part of the Travers supporting card Aug. 25.
After having a difficult time on the Triple Crown trail earlier this spring, Rush Bay has found a home on the grass. In his second start on the Churchill Downs lawn, the son of Cozzene won the $220,400 Jefferson Cup (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- Frac Daddy Powers Home in Ben Ali
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington
- La Verdad Shows Her Heels in Distaff Handicap
- Grand Tito Takes Off-the-Turf Miami Mile
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- It's a Dundeel Wins at Aussie Championships
- Rosalind Works Toward Kentucky Oaks