On Belmont Park's Big Apple Showcase Day card featuring six stakes for New York-breds worth $900,000, Empire State stalwart Weekend Hideaway held on to win his second consecutive $200,000 Commentator Stakes by a nose over Diversify.
Big Apple Showcase Day for New York-breds at Belmont Park has solid fields for all six of its stakes races. The $200,000 Commentator Stakes and $125,000 Kingston Stakes have drawn many top older runners.
Kentucky-based jockey Jon Court was announced as the 2015 recipient of the Mike Venezia Memorial Award, which will be presented Memorial Day at Belmont Park.
Kharafa had a an ideal trip to comfortably win the $125,000 Kingston Stakes from familiar rival Lubash May 31 at Belmont Park.
After coming up short in the first jewel of the Triple Crown, Uncle Sigh will try his luck against nine other New York-bred 3-year-olds when he starts in the first leg of the Big Apple Triple Saturday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night