A high temperature has knocked Bham out of his scheduled start in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes, forcing trainer Todd Pletcher to rethink his plans for next weekend. With Bham out, Pletcher now may run Indy Dancer in the Fountain of Youth rather than the Risen Star at Fair Grounds.
Sky Mesa had his third work toward the Florida Derby; Todd Pletcher counts Bham, Lion Tamer, and Indy Dancer among his charges; plus other workout notes from Florida.
Todd Pletcher, who has three promising Kentucky Derby contenders, will be running all three in different stakes on the weekend of Feb. 15-16.
Trainer Todd Pletcher has several promising 3-year-olds in his barn. One of them, Bham, is in Saturday's $100,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Trainer Mark Casse had his undefeated stakes-winning 3-year-old colt Added Edge work five furlongs in 1:00 1/5 on Sunday. It was the second fastest trial of the day for that distance. Added Edge is slated to make his 2003 debut in the Holy Bull Stakes on Saturday.
South Florida is a 3-year-old mecca because of Gulfstream's Florida Derby Series, which starts on Jan. 18, with the running of the $100,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III). The series continues Feb. 15 with the $200,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I), and comes to a fitting climax March 15 with the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I).
Daniel Borislew's gritty Toccet posted a 2 1/2-length victory over Bham in Aqueduct's Remsen Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-olds at 1 1/8 mile Saturday.
Harlan's Holiday, the winner of this year's Florida Derby (gr. I), will be back at Gulfstream Park this winter taking aim at the $500,000 Donn Handicap (gr. I) to be run at 1 1/18 miles on Feb. 22.
Most Popular Stories
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Hillstar Shoots to Canadian International Win
- Just The Judge Earns E. P. Taylor Verdict
- Head May Continue Mile Success with Anodin
- Maturing White Rose Blossoms in Dowager
- Untapable Tops Worktab Sunday at Santa Anita
- Fresh Native Bombshell Wins Ontario Fashion
- Caspar Netscher Up in Time for Nearctic Win
- Undrafted Drills 5 Furlongs for Turf Sprint
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?