A New York horsemen's group will continue to get additional purse money to fund its operations, including health benefits for backstretch workers at New York Racing Association tracks, under final passage of legislation July 16 by the state Senate.
A maximum field of 14 has been entered for the inaugural running of the Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes at England's Kempton Park racecourse on Wednesday March 18. The race offers an automatic berth in this year's May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) for the winner of the Challenge Stakes.
For the second consecutive year, Bollam, Sheedy, Torani & Co. will underwrite the Thanksgiving holiday dinner that will be served to backstretch workers by the Backstretch Employee Service Team.
The Alfred Z. Solomon Charitable Trust has given the New York-based Backstretch Employee Service Team (B.E.S.T) a $40,000 grant that will make it possible for backstretch workers to have on-site dental services at Saratoga Race Course in 2008, it was announced March 1.
The Backstretch Employee Service Team (B.E.S.T.) has established the Andrew Lakeman Assistance Fund to benefit the jockey who was seriously injured in a May 25 race at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Romans Likes Added Distance for Remsen Pair
- Unbeaten Dame Dorothy Can Cap Year in Comely
- Sageburg Will Stand in Ireland in 2015