Representatives of Kentucky's horse industry said a strong endorsement of a constitutional amendment on expanded gambling by the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Feb. 9 indicates broad support for a statewide vote on the issue.
As expected, the Family Foundation of Kentucky has appealed a circuit court ruling that wagering on previously-run races via electronic devices is legal in the state.
Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear announced Aug. 26 that deputy chief of staff Vince Gabbert will leave the administration in October to join venerable racetrack and sales company, Keeneland.
Citing threats to the state's racing and breeding industries from other states in which alternative gaming boosts purses and breeding programs, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission June 9 unanimously endorsed a plan for video lottery terminals at racetracks that was unveiled earlier in the day by Gov. Steve Beshear.
- By Dan Liebman
Kentucky Democratic gubernatorial candidate Steve Beshear, speaking before an enthusiastic group of horse owners and breeders Sept. 6, said he will not only work to get a casino measure passed by the state legislature but should that happen, will travel the state to promote passage of the measure.
The Kentucky Equine Education Project's board of directors announced June 25 its endorsement of the Steve Beshear-Daniel Mongiardo ticket in the 2007 Kentucky gubernatorial campaign.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud