The just-concluded Hollywood Park 2011 spring/summer stand was off 2.4% in average total handle, according to Hollywood Park officials.
As California eyes potential revenue from Internet gaming, horse racing executives made it clear to a state senate committee in Sacramento July 12 they want to be part of any legislation that may result.
After more than 15 years of uncertainty over its future, Bay Meadows appears headed for its last call. May 11 is the final day of the current spring stand for the oldest continually operating racetrack in California.
The California Horse Racing Board will webcast its March 22 meeting at Bay Meadows and will consider continuing the experiment at subsequent monthly meetings.
In spite of consistently nasty weather, Bay Meadows concluded its 2005-06 holiday meeting Feb. 5, with significant on-track gains in attendance and handle averages over last season's comparable figures. A 5.2% dip in wagering outside of Northern California, however, contributed to a 1.5% decline in overall handle.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- 'Company' No Issue for El Kabeir in Workout
- Tencendur Beats the Rain in Morning Work
- International Star Stays Home for Final Work
- Firing Line Stretches Legs in Derby Breeze
- Baffert Weighing Bayern's Derby Week Options
- Keen Ice Warms Up for Derby With Workout
- Birdatthewire Delivers Smooth Churchill Move
- KY Derby: Jerry Crawford on Keen Ice, Puca