The just-concluded Hollywood Park 2011 spring/summer stand was off 2.4% in average total handle, according to Hollywood Park officials.
As California eyes potential revenue from Internet gaming, horse racing executives made it clear to a state senate committee in Sacramento July 12 they want to be part of any legislation that may result.
After more than 15 years of uncertainty over its future, Bay Meadows appears headed for its last call. May 11 is the final day of the current spring stand for the oldest continually operating racetrack in California.
The California Horse Racing Board will webcast its March 22 meeting at Bay Meadows and will consider continuing the experiment at subsequent monthly meetings.
In spite of consistently nasty weather, Bay Meadows concluded its 2005-06 holiday meeting Feb. 5, with significant on-track gains in attendance and handle averages over last season's comparable figures. A 5.2% dip in wagering outside of Northern California, however, contributed to a 1.5% decline in overall handle.
Most Popular Stories
- Promising Youth on Display in Futurity
- Dortmund Back to Training After Injury
- Half Sisters to Preakness Winners Race Sunday
- KY Downs Ready for Meet With Record Purses
- Ben's Cat Still After Third Turf Monster Win
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- First Starter Wins for Sire Get Rich Quick
- Dialed In Colt Leads Louisiana Yearling Sale
- Royal Posse Aces Evan Shipman Stakes Debut
- CHRB Committee Advances New Lasix Proposal