Storm Flag Flying, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2002, died Jan. 22 at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital from complications during foaling, according to Claiborne Farm bloodstock manager Bernie Sams.
The Paris, Ky., farm's top sire War Front will remain at $150,000 for the 2015 breeding season.
Donegal Racing's Irish You Well took the lead at the top of the stretch to capture the $105,000 Long Branch Stakes at Monmouth Park July 5, punching his ticket to the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) in three weeks.
Orb, winner of this year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been retired and will stand at Claiborne Farm in 2014.
The grade I winner is a son of hot sire War Front out of a stakes-winning mare.
- By Ron Mitchell
Bernie Sams, bloodstock manager at Claiborne Farm, discusses the farm's stallion Arch, who is profiled in the March 23 issue of The Blood-Horse magazine. Listen Now!
War Front, who ranks fifth on this year's third-crop sires' list by progeny earnings, will stand in 2013 for $80,000, a jump of $20,000 from his $60,000 fee in 2012.
Claiborne Farm has announced its stud fees for the upcoming 2009 breeding season, which will be payable when the foal stands and nurses.
Claiborne Farm stallion Boundary has been retired from stud duty due to declining fertility, said Bernie Sams, farm spokesperson.
Claiborne Farm has formed Claiborne Farm Bloodstock Services, LLC, to be headed by Bernie Sams, effective Oct. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Can Frosted Cool Down Chrome-Arrogate Fever?
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted
- Catch a Glimpse May Not be Done for Season
- Arrogate Finishes Strong in Latest Drill
- Governor Malibu Tops Empire Classic Field