Bernardini, Bluegrass Cat, and Strong Contender, three of the main headliners for the July 29 Jim Dandy (gr. II) and Aug. 6 Haskell Invitational (gr. I), turned in sharp breezes at Belmont Park Monday.
Darley Stable's Bernardini, runaway winner of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), turned in an easy five-furlong breeze in 1:02 3/5 at Belmont Thursday. The colt is being pointed for the July 29 Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga.
Trying to analyze this year's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) based on observations and training is not easy when you basically see only one horse train. With seven of the nine horses entered still not even on the grounds as of this writing, there is an odd precedent being set this year.
Lael Stables' Barbaro, undefeated winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), will break from post position 6 as the even-money morning line favorite in Saturday's $1-million Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Dutchess Views Lowers Fee for Big Brown
- NY Again Considers Continuing Ed for Trainers
- Pure Sensation Questionable for HK Sprint
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Firing Line to Crestwood
- Able Friend Out to Regain Hong Kong Glory
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image