Bernardini, Bluegrass Cat, and Strong Contender, three of the main headliners for the July 29 Jim Dandy (gr. II) and Aug. 6 Haskell Invitational (gr. I), turned in sharp breezes at Belmont Park Monday.
Darley Stable's Bernardini, runaway winner of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), turned in an easy five-furlong breeze in 1:02 3/5 at Belmont Thursday. The colt is being pointed for the July 29 Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga.
Trying to analyze this year's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) based on observations and training is not easy when you basically see only one horse train. With seven of the nine horses entered still not even on the grounds as of this writing, there is an odd precedent being set this year.
Lael Stables' Barbaro, undefeated winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), will break from post position 6 as the even-money morning line favorite in Saturday's $1-million Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz