Watching the Aug. 18 Alabama (gr. I) on the jumbo monitor on the first floor of the clubhouse at Saratoga, Michael Hernon pumped his fist in the air as Bentley L. Smith's homebred Lady Joanne crossed the wire first in the 1 1/4-mile race for 3-year-old fillies.
Lady Joanne is headed toward the $250,000 Mother Goose (gr. I) at Belmont Park June 30 following her impressive victory on Saturday in the $150,000-added Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Favored Lady Joanne overcame a sluggish start to collar High Again near the sixteenth pole en route to a one-length victory in the $167,550 Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Schedule Announced
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends