The undefeated Shakespeare blew past grade I winner Meteor Storm in mid-stretch en route to his first graded stakes victory, a track-record win in the Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) on the turf Sunday.
The undefeated Shakespeare makes his graded stakes debut in the $200,000-added Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) Sunday at Belmont Park, taking on a field that includes grade I winner Meteor Storm and grade II winner Greek Sun.
Senor Swinger pounced on 3-5 choice Stroll in upper stretch and rolled to a convincing four-length victory Saturday in the $197,800 Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) under rainy skies on the inner Belmont turf course.
Hall of Fame trainer Phil Johnson has decided to follow the same route in October that Volponi traveled to an upset victory in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) last year.
Volponi needed a victory Saturday, but his connections weren't counting on having to beat 16-1 Della Francesca in the $209,600 Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT).
Hap figures to be the solid favorite in the $200,000 Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap going 1 1/8 miles on the turf at Belmont Park.
Sent off at 22-1, Forbidden Apple rallied from just off the pace to win the $210,000 Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) by 1 1/4 lengths Saturday at Belmont Park. The win was the second in a row in the race for trainer Christophe Clement and jockey Jose Santos, who teamed to win last year's renewal with With the Flow.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Jockeys Fined for Whip Violations in SoCal
- 'Kathy' Prevails in Perfect Sting Thriller
- Injured Jockey Selman Undergoes Back Surgery
- Got Lucky Surges to Molly Pitcher Victory
- Force Upsets New York Derby
- Oaklawn Improvements Include New Barn
- Pedigree Analysis: Olympia
- Filly First Winner for Here Comes Ben
- Catalog Online for Barretts Select Sale