Son of Tapit wins the True North Handicap by 8 1/2 lengths in 1:08.86; gives trainer Kiaran McLaughlin his second stakes score in a row on Belmont Stakes undercard.
Grey skies and damp conditions greeted Belmont Stakes (gr. I) day at Belmont Park on Long Island June 11. A light rain continues to fall with an hour to the first post.
An anticipated $20-30 million purse boost due to VLTs key to mood around New York as Belmont Stakes day approaches.
Trainer Dale Romans calls 'dibs' on the front end for Shackleford in the June 11 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), also known as the 'Test of the Champion.'
Juddmonte Farms' homebred filly is 5-2 morning-line choice for June 11 Just a Game Stakes (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. The one-mile race for older fillies and mares is worth $400,000.
Potential record-breaking heat causes NYRA to cancel racing June 9; forecast is for temperatures to drop off dramatically by Saturday's Belmont Stakes.
Animal Kingdom, winner of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and second in the Preakness (gr. I), was named the 2-1 morning-line favorite for the $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I). He'll break from post 9 in a 12-horse lineup.
Nearly an annual event back in the 1990s, Susan Magnier's Master of Hounds is the first colt in a decade to ship from Europe to run in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Greg Goodman's Mt. Brilliant Farm bred Nehro, Zayat Stables' Kentucky Derby (gr. I) runner-up and contender for the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 11 in New York.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- RCI Appoints Five to New Medication Board