The first reported foal by 3-year-old Eclipse champion and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Bernardini was born Jan. 4 at Gracefield Farm near Lexington. The newborn filly, bred by Gracefield and Partners, is out of the multiple stakes producer Belle Nuit.
Second in each of her last five starts, odds-on choice Octave defeated three rivals while becoming a grade I winner for the first time in the $237,500 Mother Goose for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park Saturday.
Keeneland sold 1,185 horses for $31,186,000 during the five-day January Horses of All Ages Sale that ended on Friday, but total sales average and median were down from 2002.
The Keeneland January Horses of All Ages sale began Monday, with the gross down 40.4% and the average dropping 30.6%. The only increases were in the median price, which was up by $5,000 from last year's comparable session, and the number of horses not sold.
Most Popular Stories
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Divine Oath Needs Kent to Get Back on Track
- Study Compares Abdominal Bandage Pressure, Support
- Keeneland September Sale Gains Continue
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby