The first reported foal by 3-year-old Eclipse champion and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Bernardini was born Jan. 4 at Gracefield Farm near Lexington. The newborn filly, bred by Gracefield and Partners, is out of the multiple stakes producer Belle Nuit.
Second in each of her last five starts, odds-on choice Octave defeated three rivals while becoming a grade I winner for the first time in the $237,500 Mother Goose for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park Saturday.
Keeneland sold 1,185 horses for $31,186,000 during the five-day January Horses of All Ages Sale that ended on Friday, but total sales average and median were down from 2002.
The Keeneland January Horses of All Ages sale began Monday, with the gross down 40.4% and the average dropping 30.6%. The only increases were in the median price, which was up by $5,000 from last year's comparable session, and the number of horses not sold.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Haveyougoneaway Delivers in Honorable Miss
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- King Kranz Holds Royal Edge in Amsterdam