The Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II) field is headed by Summer Applause, who defeated Avie's Sense by a length in the Rachel Alexandra Stakes (gr. III).
Headed by Rachel Alexandra Stakes (gr. III) winner Summer Applause, the field for the Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II) is taking shape.
Summer Applause bounced back from a loss in her first start of this year when she rallied to win the $194,000 Rachel Alexandra Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots Feb. 25.
The first three finishers in the Silverbulletday Stakes at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots will square off again at the Louisiana track when they return for the Feb. 25 Rachel Alexandra Stakes (gr. III).
Images from the week, including Believe You Can, Mr. Bowling, and more. View Slideshow
Brereton Jones' homebred Mr. Bowling delivered a game effort in his 3-year-old debut, turning back Z Dager and Shared Property in an exciting finish to win the $175,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 21 at Fair Grounds.
The $175,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III), Fair Grounds' first graded 3-year-old race leading up to the Louisiana Derby (gr. II), drew a field of 13, a handful of them thought to be early Triple Crown prospects.
Believe You Can, on a three-race winning winning streak for trainer Larry Jones, is likely the horse to beat in the $150,000 Pocahontas Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies on opening day of the Churchill Downs fall meet.
Brereton C. Jones' Believe You Can takes Tempted Stakes by 2 1/2 lengths.
With a different home, a new spot on the calendar, and as preps for an inaugural Breeders' Cup race, the $150,000 Nashua (gr. II) and $100,000 Tempted (gr. III) stakes have taken on a whole different look.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC