The focus at Santa Anita Oct. 21 was on the official entries and post position draws for the 14 Breeders' Cup World Championships Oct. 24-25.
Square Eddie looks to continue winning ways in the Juvenile
Talk about a hair-trigger decision. Following Curlin's victory in the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), majority owner Jess Jackson said over he phone that the colt likely would ship to Santa Anita "in about a week" to test out the Pro-Ride surface. The next morning, Curlin was on a plane to California.
The maiden Street Hero squeezed between horses to challenge for the lead and outfought Believe in Hope and Midshipman in deep stretch to win Oak Tree's $250,000 Norfolk Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita Sept. 28, securing a berth in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I).
Midshipman, unbeaten in two starts for trainer Bob Baffert after his gritty victory in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I), heads a field of 10 in the $250,000 Norfolk Breeders Cup Stakes (gr. I) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet Sept. 28.
Canadian invader Southern Exchange might not be favored in the Sept. 3 Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) closing day, but he's the only one of the 11 contestants with as many as three wins.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified