The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (gr. III) isn't much of a Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trial anymore, but that has not prevented the race from drawing a strong mix of sprinters/milers on opening night at Churchill Downs.
We could see some new faces on the Derby Trail, despite the presence of Uncle Mo and Brethren.
Jason, Tom and Rich handicap the San Felipe (gr. II), Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II) and the Timely Writer S. Watch Video
Brethren drew post 10 again for the $350,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II), where he is expected to go off as the heavy favorite in the 1 1/16-mile contest. Uncle Mo was also entered but is expected to scratch.
Should Brethren run big in the $225,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 12 at Tampa Bay Downs, the WinStar Farm homebred is sure to join the mix as a serious Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contender.
Debuting this week is the Derby Dozen. But what are the chances even half of those horses listed will even make it to Churchill Downs? And what are the chances the Derby winner is among them? Read Blog
Soldat stamped himself as a prominent Triple Crown candidate at Gulfstream Park Jan. 21 when posting a dominating 10 3/4-length victory in the featured ninth race.
A Friday allowance race at Gulfstream could produce Kentucky Derby contenders. Read Blog
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?