Beacon Shine, a 3-year-old son of Montbrook owned by Kinsman Stable, died April 8 after a bout of colic. The colt, trained by Hall of Famer Nick Zito, was based at Churchill Downs and was entered to run in last Sunday's $100,000 Lafayette Stakes at Keeneland.
The two geldings, Skeleton Crew and Final Copy, head a small field for the Sunday feature at Keeneland.
Sam F. Davis Stakes winner Bluegrass Cat tops of group of 36 horses nominated to the $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) that highlights the March 18 Festival Day card at the Florida track.
Squinting into the morning sun, Nick Zito stood outside his barn mulling over his Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) chances.
A dozen promising 3-year-olds will line up for the $150,000 Swale Stakes (gr. II) at seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park, a race won last year by California invader Lost in the Fog.
Kinsman Stable's Beacon Shine, winner of the Flash Stakes at Belmont Park, is among 973 2-year-olds eligible for this year's $1.2 million Florida Stallion Stakes at Calder, the highest total since 1987.
In a thrilling three-horse finish, Beacon Shine was all out to win the $105,100 Flash Stakes (gr. III) Friday at Belmont Park.
Master of Disaster lived up to his name on May 10 at Delaware Park, demolishing a field of maidens by more than 13 lengths. He'll look to stay undefeated Friday when he starts in the five-furlong Flash Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Frivolous Posts Falls City Handicap Upset
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Finnegans Wake Prevails in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Salutos Amigos Rallies to Win Fall Highweight
- Daddy D T Tops Cecil B. DeMille Stakes
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Nathaniel Filly Tops Tattersalls Foal Session
- Euros Inside and Out After Japan Cup Draw
- Discreet Marq, La Tia Square Off in Matriarch
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile