Mile specialist Kip Deville, once a speedy front-runner who has looked like a different horse since learning to rate for trainer Richard Dutrow Jr., outfought even-money choice Showing Up by a long neck to win Friday's $250,000 Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) on the Keeneland grass course.
Multiple grade I winner Showing Up will make his 2007 debut in Friday's $250,000 Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) on turf nearly a year after he captured the Coolmore Lexington (gr. II) on the former dirt surface on Keeneland's main track.
Southern California's intermediate distance turf division was tremendously entertaining last year, but there's a new face on the scene this season -- Kip Deville, upset winner by a neck over the closing Bayeux in the $300,000 Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) on the Santa Anita lawn Saturday.
British import Milk It Mick, upset winner of the 2006 Frank E. Kilroe MIle Handicap (gr. IT) at 12-1 odds in his second U.S. start, will attempt to become only the second repeat winner in the event's 48-year history Saturday at Santa Anita.
English invader Bayeux, ignored at odds of 23-1 in his American debut, unleashed a strong stretch drive to score an upset victory over Lord Admiral in the $168,900 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on turf Friday at Churchill Downs.
Juddmonte Farms' homebred Art Master, the beaten favorite in his U.S. debut in Belmont Park's Kelso Handicap (gr. IIT), can make amends when he faces eight rivals in the $150,000-added River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) Friday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm