Mile specialist Kip Deville, once a speedy front-runner who has looked like a different horse since learning to rate for trainer Richard Dutrow Jr., outfought even-money choice Showing Up by a long neck to win Friday's $250,000 Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) on the Keeneland grass course.
Multiple grade I winner Showing Up will make his 2007 debut in Friday's $250,000 Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) on turf nearly a year after he captured the Coolmore Lexington (gr. II) on the former dirt surface on Keeneland's main track.
Southern California's intermediate distance turf division was tremendously entertaining last year, but there's a new face on the scene this season -- Kip Deville, upset winner by a neck over the closing Bayeux in the $300,000 Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) on the Santa Anita lawn Saturday.
British import Milk It Mick, upset winner of the 2006 Frank E. Kilroe MIle Handicap (gr. IT) at 12-1 odds in his second U.S. start, will attempt to become only the second repeat winner in the event's 48-year history Saturday at Santa Anita.
English invader Bayeux, ignored at odds of 23-1 in his American debut, unleashed a strong stretch drive to score an upset victory over Lord Admiral in the $168,900 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on turf Friday at Churchill Downs.
Juddmonte Farms' homebred Art Master, the beaten favorite in his U.S. debut in Belmont Park's Kelso Handicap (gr. IIT), can make amends when he faces eight rivals in the $150,000-added River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) Friday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Sky Kingdom Returns to 1 1/2 Miles in Cougar
- Tonalist Begins Push For Eclipse Award
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- NY Tracks Awarded Extended VLT Hours
- Haskin: No More 'What Ifs' With Wise Dan
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- A Timeline For Synthetic Racing Surfaces
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training