Nine stakes winners were entered Wednesday for Saturday's $500,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III), including Rebel Stakes (gr. III) winner Windward Passage.
Mike Pegram's Danthebluegrassman, a surprise entrant in Saturday's Kentucky Derby who was scratched on the morning of the race because of a muscle problem, showed no ill effects from the problem when he worked a half-mile in :50 3/5 at Churchill Downs on Tuesday.
James Cassels and Bob Zollars' Private Emblem drew away from the field in the stretch run to win Saturday's $500,000 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) by 4 1/2 lengths at Oaklawn Park.
Trainer Steve Asmussen said Easyfromthegitgo will have his final Kentucky Derby prep in the April 20 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Meanwhile, 11 3-year-olds entered Wednesday's Northern Spur Stakes at Oaklawn Park, and the ever-changing list of horses probable for the April 13 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) is currently down to 10.
The number of horses expected for the April 13 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) expanded to 12 Wednesday with the addition of Dial A Hero, It'sallinthechase, Like A Hero, and Guppie's Secret. But Oaklawn Park officials are beginning to fear the connections of Rebel Stakes (gr. III) runner-up Ocean Sound may opt for the Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) instead.
Paloma Parilla and Cojet will both miss their anticipated starts in the March 23 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park. Calvin Borel was to ride Cojet in the Rebel, but quickly picked up the mount on Ocean Sound for the 1 1/16-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Former Derby Museum Resident Au Moon Dies
- Gulfstream Championship Meet Schedule Set
- AQHA President Blodgett Elected to AHC Board
- Santa Anita Stables Reopen Sept. 4
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Golf Outing to Raise Money for Morris, Others
- Florida Sire Stakes Series Continues Sept. 5
- That Handicapping Show: The Woodward Stakes