Nine stakes winners were entered Wednesday for Saturday's $500,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III), including Rebel Stakes (gr. III) winner Windward Passage.
Mike Pegram's Danthebluegrassman, a surprise entrant in Saturday's Kentucky Derby who was scratched on the morning of the race because of a muscle problem, showed no ill effects from the problem when he worked a half-mile in :50 3/5 at Churchill Downs on Tuesday.
James Cassels and Bob Zollars' Private Emblem drew away from the field in the stretch run to win Saturday's $500,000 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) by 4 1/2 lengths at Oaklawn Park.
Trainer Steve Asmussen said Easyfromthegitgo will have his final Kentucky Derby prep in the April 20 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Meanwhile, 11 3-year-olds entered Wednesday's Northern Spur Stakes at Oaklawn Park, and the ever-changing list of horses probable for the April 13 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) is currently down to 10.
The number of horses expected for the April 13 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) expanded to 12 Wednesday with the addition of Dial A Hero, It'sallinthechase, Like A Hero, and Guppie's Secret. But Oaklawn Park officials are beginning to fear the connections of Rebel Stakes (gr. III) runner-up Ocean Sound may opt for the Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) instead.
Paloma Parilla and Cojet will both miss their anticipated starts in the March 23 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park. Calvin Borel was to ride Cojet in the Rebel, but quickly picked up the mount on Ocean Sound for the 1 1/16-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Looking for Longshots at Saratoga
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Dual Oaks winner Enable Steps Up in King George
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Drefong Set for 2017 Debut in Bing Crosby