Michael Gill's Bay Eagle just lasted to upset 1-2 favorite Jaki's Magic in the $50,000 Daniel Van Clief Stakes for Virginia-breds at Colonial Downs on Saturday.
Harold Queen's Burning Roma tracked pacesetter Junior Deputy early on and then drew off to a 9 3/4-length win in Sunday's $200,000 Leonard Richard Stakes at Delaware Park.
Paraneck Stable's recent Lafayette Stakes (gr. III) winner Griffinite will race next in the $325,000 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) on April 21 at Keeneland, according to trainer Jennifer Pedersen. "He had been training awesomely," Pedersen said. "We were very happy for the win, but we knew that it was a just a prep for the Lexington. He came out of the race full of himself. He knows he won."
Daniel M. Borislow's Talk Is Money was tested all the way to the finish line by Marciano but prevailed in an all-out drive to win the $50,000 Miracle Wood Stakes, Saturday's co-feature at Laurel Park. In successfully negotiatiing two turns for the first time, the $1.8 million yearling purchase remained undefeated in two career starts.
Most Popular Stories
- Homecoming Classic Renamed to Honor Lukas
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Full Training
- Dept. of Labor Files Suit Against Asmussen
- KY Breeders' Incentive Fund Changes Approved
- Summer Select Sales Guide: In the Details
- Crown Champ American Pharoah Returns to Work
- British Steeplechaser Kauto Star Euthanized
- TOBA June Member of the Month
- Zindaya Stretches Out in Perfect Sting Stakes
- Bill Lets New York OTBs Use Capital Funds