Michael Gill's Bay Eagle just lasted to upset 1-2 favorite Jaki's Magic in the $50,000 Daniel Van Clief Stakes for Virginia-breds at Colonial Downs on Saturday.
Harold Queen's Burning Roma tracked pacesetter Junior Deputy early on and then drew off to a 9 3/4-length win in Sunday's $200,000 Leonard Richard Stakes at Delaware Park.
Paraneck Stable's recent Lafayette Stakes (gr. III) winner Griffinite will race next in the $325,000 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) on April 21 at Keeneland, according to trainer Jennifer Pedersen. "He had been training awesomely," Pedersen said. "We were very happy for the win, but we knew that it was a just a prep for the Lexington. He came out of the race full of himself. He knows he won."
Daniel M. Borislow's Talk Is Money was tested all the way to the finish line by Marciano but prevailed in an all-out drive to win the $50,000 Miracle Wood Stakes, Saturday's co-feature at Laurel Park. In successfully negotiatiing two turns for the first time, the $1.8 million yearling purchase remained undefeated in two career starts.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Xpressbet to Sponsor 2015 Preakness Stakes
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- Lovely Maria Easily Captures Kentucky Oaks
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory