Brother Derek and Bob and John, a pair of leading candidates for Saturday's Grade I Hollywood Futurity, each worked five furlongs at Santa Anita on Sunday.
Merv Griffin's favored Stevie Wonderboy circled the field on the turn for home and overwhelmed a full field under a steady ride from Garrett Gomez in the $250,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) on closing day at the seaside Wednesday.
Eleven juveniles, including five maidens, are scheduled to go to the post Wednesday in the $250,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) to be run at 7 furlongs on the main track.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' What a Song is unbeaten in three starts after an effortless 2 3/4-length victory over Bashert in Sunday's $150,000 Best Pal (gr. II) for 2-year-olds at Del Mar.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' $1.9 million colt What a Song is unbeaten in two starts after winning a thrilling duel with Bashert in Saturday's $104,500 Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Hollywood Park.
Bob and Beverly Lewis, whose horses have won six Triple Crown races, will get a feel for the Triple Crown potential of their $1.9-million purchase What a Song, who makes his stakes debut in Saturday's $100,000-added Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin
- Sheer Drama On Fence for 'Summit of Speed'
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Minding Coasts Clear in Pretty Polly
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Night Racing Debuts at Albuquerque; Handle Up